On Thu, 25 Mar 2021 at 02:09, <rk...@nc.rr.com> wrote:

> Hi All:
>
> I need to low level format a bunch of older 1440k floppies that are starting
> to lose their integrity.  A low level format often works to revitalize them.

Low-level formatting is really only a hard disk thing -- and an old
hard disk thing, at that. It's not possible on most IDE drives and
probably impossible on any EIDE or SATA drive.

> But, I could not get the FreeDOS formatter to do anything but reformat the
> directory area.

So is it doing a quick format? (`format a: /q`)

Try:

format a: /u

or if you don't want prompts,

format a: /autotest

These are the MS command variants but I suspect they'd work.

Email: lpro...@cix.co.uk – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: lpro...@gmail.com