On Sat, Jun 07, 2014 at 09:21:29PM +0000, Nordgren, Bryce L -FS wrote:
> Dimitri, thanks for the reply! Pls forgive my lateness.
>
> I fear I am not currently up to fighting with MS Outlook to convince it to
> let me respond inline. It wants to block quote your entire message and if I
> type in the middle it keeps the "quoted" style.
>
> In any case:
>
> #1] Making small things work first and accumulating functionality is
> definitely the way to go. If it were simple and straightforward, everyone
> would be doing it already.
>
> #2] I looked at "views" (Ticket 3979 as well as
> http://www.freeipa.org/page/V4/Migrating_existing_environments_to_Trust). I
> think I follow most of it (a default view which applies to the whole domain,
> custom views which may be applied to particular targets). +1 +1 +1. One
> concern I have is that the design page seems to be written around a single
> upstream source (trust with AD). What happens if there are many "upstreams"?
> All in all, though, it sounds like my current RFE is a duplicate of views. If
> we could add in my use case to the Views ticket/design, we can close mine out.

It's not only about AD, but use-case and examples in the design page
currently all refer to AD. The key is to find a unique reference to the
upstream object which in the AD case is obviously the SID. In a
previous version of the page there were a bit more details who the
original/upstream objects can be referenced, e.g. it can a fully
qualified name or Kerberos principal.

bye,
Sumit

> #3] Kerberos based auto provisioning will fall apart if the authentication
> path cannot be walked by the client (not the FreeIPA server). When I'm
> sitting in my office, I can see my KDC as well as the collaboration
> environment, and I can walk the path. However, if I cannot convince my CIO to
> poke a hole in the firewall so that FreeIPA in the collaboration domain can
> get to the internal AD (to query attributes, etc), then an AD trust is not
> possible and a vanilla Kerberos trust is all that is available.
> Kerberos-trust based auto-provisioning may be able to handle situations that
> AD trusts can't. By and large, I need my boxes to know my username, and could
> care less if they know my givenName, sn, mail, telephoneNumber, etc. As long
> as FreeIPA can synthesize a uidNumber for me in the absence of an SID, the
> rest is gravy.
>
> #4] One user/Many Accounts. This is an unavoidable reality. Also, there's a
> namespace collision issue here. My Kerberos cname@crealm is
> bnordg...@ds.fs.fed.us<mailto:bnordg...@ds.fs.fed.us> as issued from my AD.
> My SAML uid is "bnordgren@fs" from
> https://www.eauth.usda.gov/Login/login.aspx. My Google OpenID is bnordgren
> from "wherever". There is also a "bnordgren" from a university out of SLC,
> Utah. I occasionally get mis-addressed email for him. Typically spam, but
> once from his mom. Fundamentally, whenever multiple domains are consolidated
> into a single namespace (as is already a use case for views), one typically
> tries to avoid username collisions just as vigilantly as they try to avoid
> uidNumber collisions. What is needed here is a method for the users to
> override the default collision avoidance such that they allow all of their
> accounts to be mapped onto their One True Username for the domain. In the
> spirit of point #1, implementing collision avoidance will be require!
 d for views, so it needs to happen now even without external collaboration.
Figuring out how to let users override it can happen in the future.