Hi Alan,

Basically:

When you have a client machine that is connecting to a NAS using EAP/TLS
and variations thereof the encrypted path is ONLY between the client machine
and the NAS (be it wired or wireless).

The Radius server provides the inital encryption path between the client
machine
and the radius server only during the authentication/authorization phase of
the
connection process. The radius server uses the TLS side of the connection
for
the authorization transactions once the TLS tunnel is established and
creditials
have been verified (by virtue of the security certificates both the radius
server
and client machine have installed) ...
with TTLS only the radius server has a certificate and the encryption phase
is
handled by a certificate generated on the radius server to that specific
session -
once validated the NAS and the client machine receive an encryption key to
use
during the connection session (and the key is renewed with a new key for the
NAS and client machine every so often - 300 seconds I think is the default
setting in FreeRadius's configuration file)....

If you need encryption from the client machine to a distant
server/workstation
the you will need to implement some additional encryption mechanism between
those end-points as the PEAP/TLS session is ONLY between the NAS and
client machine connecting to the NAS...

I hope this helps....

Gary N. McKinney