There are many ways to solve this problem but not all are very clean.

We use EAP-TTLS-EAP-MSCHAPV2.

What you do is setup an EAP-TTLS front-end server that sends the inner authentication
EAP-MSCHAPV2 to an IAS server in an AD domain. This allows us to authenticate COMPUTERS and USERS with 802.1X.

Hope the drawing turns out ok:

---- TLS tunnel------------------------------------
EAP-MSCHAPV2 <------------------------ INNER ---------------------------->
TTLS <-------- OUTER ---------------------->
Client         AP              TTLS front end (Linux)       IAS server (Active Directory)

The problem on the client side though is that the IAS server sends certain attributes back to the client (NOT THE TTLS SERVER)
that need to be handled correctly. This means you will require a certain TTLS client... :P

Further more the IAS server (Microsoft RADIUS server) needs to be tweaked as this does not support EAP-MSCHAPV2
as an EAP type by default. (But it is a simple registry change)

We have this running in house and allows us FULL single sign-on using our laptops and the AD domain which looks
really cool ;)

I will try to do the same using FreeRadius this week but I don't have much time.. :(

Regards,

Tom Rixom