hi ester:
we use freeradius.1.0.0-pre3 for our internal testing
and i haven't seen this problem.
but i've seen similar problems in prior release. some
pointers that COULD help (try it out what's the
harm!!)
1. do a 'make distclean' and then reconfigure with the
prefix you use openssl lib and include paths
specified.
2. Turn off experimental modules during build if you
have them on
3. Check to see that the CN in the cert doesn't have
spaces (not sure if this was resolved in -pre3 but was
an issue in earlier versions of freeRADIUS).
hope this helps.

regards,
mohammed.

Mohammed H. Petiwala