Alan,

This can work. Cisco provides a wireless infrastructure called Wireless Domain
Services (WDS - see subject of the thread). One of the services in WDS is "Fast Secure
Roaming", eliminating the need to re-auth to RADIUS. Here is a quote from the Cisco
WDS doc:

Using Cisco Centralized Key Management (CCKM), a device configured to provide Wireless
Domain Services (WDS) takes the place of the RADIUS server and authenticates the
client so quickly that there is no perceptible delay in voice or other time-sensitive
applications ... The WDS device maintains a cache of credentials for CCKM-capable
client devices on your wireless LAN. When a CCKM-capable client roams from one access
point to another, the client sends a reassociation request to the new access point,
and the new access point relays the request to the WDS device. The WDS device forwards
the client's credentials to the new access point, and the new access point sends the
reassociation response to the client. Only two packets pass between the client and the
new access point, greatly shortening the reassociation time. The client also uses the
reassociation response to generate the unicast key.

Joe,

To get this to work, you will need to have a 6500 with a WLSM module, and WLSE running
on CiscoWorks. The whole thing is well documented in the Cisco doc:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps4570/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080208a6e.html

--
Matanya