Pardon my possible stupidity, but in looking at how to solve my own problems, I came across this from man 5 users:

       DEFAULT Service-Type == Framed-User, Framed-Protocol == PPP
            Service-Type = Framed-User,
            Framed-Protocol = PPP,
            Fall-Through = Yes

If the request packet contains the attributes Service-Type and
Framed-Protocol, with the given values, then include those
attributes in the reply.

That is, give the user what they ask for. This entry also shows
how to specify multiple reply items.

So something like this may work (but don't hold your breath because I'm only guessing!)

joeuser         Login-LAT-Node == FOO
                        ARAP-Security-Data = FOO