> "Ed Henderson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > From what I can tell it appears  that if a request is proxied then
> > freeradius does not use checkrad and automatically denies
> request.  Is
> > this how it is designed?  Or am I missing something?
>
>   The software is designed that way because the network is
> designed that way.
>
>   checkrad checks NASes.  It can't check RADIUS servers, because there
> is no way to ask a RADIUS server if a user is still online.  Checkrad
> can't check the NASes of the other RADIUS servers, as those NASes
> don't know who you are, they only know the RADIUS servers
> they talk to.
>
>   Alan DeKok.

I understand that it can't ask a radius server but is it possible to
have it check the original nas instead?  I do have the client info for
the NASes of the other server so that they can know who our radius
server is.  I did see an option in an older(?) clients.conf file
comments but do not see this in the latest file:

#  If this is defined as "client foo" then the hostname/ipaddr "foo"
#  will be looked up according to the source IP address of the radius
#  rqeuest packet, and the secret here will be used to check the
#  integrety of the request.
#
#  If this is defined as "nas foo" then foo will be looked up first
#  as the NAS-IP-Address in the radius request, then as the NAS-Ident
#  in the radius request.
#
#  Normally you'd use "client" unless the request came in through a
#  proxy server and you want to define a short name for the NAS
#  for logging purposes, or you want to do a "checkrad" back to the
#  original NAS and not to the proxy radius server!

I assume the "nas" feature is no longer valid?  If so this would solve
my issue.

--
Ed.