On Tue, 10 May 2005, oz wrote:

Hello,

our Accounting-SQL-Database became slower, so often radius-packets are dropped and and the NAS falls back to the secondary radius-server. Though the postgres database is indexed, there are often response-times between 1 - 3 secs and we cannot change it for the moment.

To speed up things a little, I tried to change from single- to multi-threaded radius mode, but the problems even get worse. Only a few minutes after radiusd start, the maximum number of threads (= 256) is reached, caused by "Unresponsive childs", which might be slow database answers:

That makes sense. Instead of serializing writes to a *slow* database you are performing them in parallel which will be even worse.

radius.log:
Tue May 10 10:59:48 2005 : Error: WARNING: Unresponsive child (id 1015871) for request 71
Tue May 10 10:59:48 2005 : Info: The maximum number of threads (256) are active, cannot spawn new thread to handle request

Is there any chance to use freeradius-1.0.2 with a *slow* SQL-Database?

I read something about "radsqlrelay" in the 1.1.0 snapshot - can that be used to form some kind of "buffer queue" between the radiusd and the slow accounting database?

Or will radsqlrelay step into the same timing-problem as the single- or multi-threaded radiusd?

Yes use radsqlrelay. It's in cvs. radsqlrelay will be used in combination with a detail file for buffering and can handle sql database slow downs/failures. Bear in mind though that if your sql database cannot handle the accounting rate no buffering will do you any good in the long run.

Thanks, Oliver

-- Kostas Kalevras Network Operations Center [EMAIL PROTECTED] National Technical University of Athens, Greece Work Phone: +30 210 7721861 'Go back to the shadow' Gandalf