Hi all,

We've got our freeradius servers working with LDAP fine, except for CHAP. Originally, the logs were saying "Invalid user \\user", but we fixed that by enabling an option in radiusd.conf.

Now, when we dial up without encrypted password enabled, the connection comes through successfully. However, when we enable the encrypted password option and try again, we get:

Thu Dec 15 18:12:52 2005 : Auth: Login incorrect (rlm_ldap: empty password supplied): [username/] (from client 123.123.123.123 port 3088 cli 2125550404)

Its saying the password is empty, but we are indeed using a password.

Does anyone have any ideas? We've followed the instructions in the FAQ (CHAP above LDAP in the authorize section, no := Auth-Type, etc.)..... it just doesn't seem to want to recognize that a password is being entered.

For the record, no query hits the LDAP server during a CHAP authentication...... so its obviously something with the config of freeradius.

We've narrowed the problem down. When a user with Windows XP connects using CHAP, we get a successful connection with CHAP. However, a user using Windows ME or Windows 98 with "use encrypted password" are the ones causing the above error and not working.

-Matt