David

Just one word on it: you are citing a RADIUS specific RFC. Thus, Acct- Input-Octets is the value perceived by RADIUS instances. RADIUS RFCs cannot possibly specify how terminals, wireless cards, GSM phones etc. should or should not count packets, traffic, connections, etc.

It can and it does specify how NAS (radius-client) should communicate with the AS (radius-server). Thus, the situation here is from the NAS point of view(*) and the INPUT means INPUT to the NAS from the service port, i.e. e.g. from the user as Alan explained.

Any other interpretation would be imho very strange, no?

Artur

PS or from server's point of view if you prefer. Since RADIUS is a distributed AAA system, it's whole sense us to establish the same view after a while through protocol exchanges. (ah)