Alan DeKok wrote:
Doc. Caliban wrote:
All of our public workstations are on this interface so the machines are
verified at the proxy.

  So... how does it do that?
IPCop, the network router,  is the NAS in this case.

It has 3 interfaces, the WAN, LAN, and WiFi Access. (Known in IPCop as Red, Green, and Blue.) A fourth interface (Orange) can be added as a DMZ, but I don't need that at this time.

The Blue interface requires a MAC address for each node allowed to connect. Typically you'd just put the AP's MAC in there and let the AP act as the DHCP server. In reality you can add the MAC for any device you want, which is how the public machines are verified: The only way they can connect in the first place is that I've added their MAC addresses to the access list.

IPCop can also require user authentication across both the Green and Blue interfaces (It's all or nothing in that regard) via a local ACL, identd, LDAP, Windows authentication, or RADIUS. My user database already exists in MySQL for other reasons, so using RADIUS to tap into that is the easiest solution. For various reasons, I also do not want to add about 80% of the users to the windows AD. The plus side of this is that anyone using a public machine will have to be a valid user. The downside is that the few people who are on the LAN (Green) interface will also have to deal with RADIUS even though they are already validated in the Windows domain. It had been suggested to add their MAC's to the user database in MySQL and arrange it so that they are allowed to skip the RADIUS process, but dealing with that is well out of my skill set. In January we will receive a bunch of Cisco AP's to replace the rather motley collection that we are using now. At that point I will look at handing the NAS functions to them, but for now it will happen at the router.

From the feedback, it sounds like I'm heading in the right direction with PEAP / MS-CHAP-V2, which is what my test laptop came up with automatically. I will also be sure to incorporate the suggestions regarding the proper configuration of the clients in implementing this.

This has been a great resource! Thanks to everyone who has responded, and to whoever set up and maintains the mailing list.

Regards,

-Doc
-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html