On 04/01/2010 05:39 PM, Marlon Duksa wrote:
Hi everyone -
Can anyone think of a reason why the NAS-IP and the scr-IP of the
access-req packet should not be the same?

If the NAS-IP is configurable in the NAS, then the NAS-IP can be set to
the IP address other than the src-ip of the NAS that is used in reqular
FreeRadius accounting/authorization packets. The source IP address of
the NAS is normally the native interface address from which access-req
was sent (but it can be configurable).

The NAS-IP would be used to address NAS in CoA requests sent from the
FreeRadius. We need this behavior to address certain deployment
requirements.

for example:

IP prot:
    srcIP: 1.1.1.1   dstIP: 2.2.2.2
Radius prot:
    code: access-request (1)
    AVPs:
         NAS-IP-Address:  3.3.3.3

scrIP != NAS-IP-Address

Some NASes have >1 IP and you can select which source IP goes into the NAS-IP-Address; think for example a router with 2 connections to the network and a loopback interface used for management.

The UDP source *may* be the loopback, or the IP of the outbound interface, depending on the NAS implementation. If the latter, source IP can obviously change as routing changes.

I guess there are other reason, like NAT.

Thanks,
Marlon

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html