So, to try and re-phrase my question at this point: Why would
freeradius stop processing after radusergroup and radgroupcheck,
without ever doing the query on radgroupreply to see if there are
items there?

The user is a member of only one group, and this is the only
user/group relationship I see the failure on.

SELECT * FROM radusergroup;
1046    memwg140412     wolfchase-guest-group   1       HI Wolfchase
guest-account

SELECT * FROM radgroupreply;
84      wolfchase-guest-group   Nomadix-Bw-Down :=      768     HI Wolfchase
guest-group
85      wolfchase-guest-group   Nomadix-Bw-Up   :=      256     HI Wolfchase
guest-group
-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html