That makes sense. And thanks for the suggestion! I tried running
permutation test with the following command:
mri_glmfit-sim --glmdir r_PCC_glm --sim perm 10000 1.3 perm.abs.1.3
--sim-sign abs

The results are empty maps for all the contrasts I have, which I did not
expect, since some of the contrasts are simply testing group mean against
0. Any clue why that might be?

Also, if I want to run one-tailed test using 'pos', how do I rewrite the
above command to include the no-sim part? This didn't seem to work:
mri_glmfit-sim --glmdir r_PCC_glm --sim perm 10000 1.3 perm.pos.1.3
--sim-sign pos --no-sim perm.abs.1.3

--
Jiahe Zhang
Ph.D. Candidate