Hi Simon,

AFAIK NTFS can only be read with linux, not written (bad stuff (tm)
happens) although I may be wrong about this.

It ist TRUE except that you can overwrite files that allready exists.
The captive driver can write to a NTFS partition, but it uses the original Windows XP NTFS drivers (2). It looks also that the captive
driver have problems with huge disk copies.

captive is available at sourceforge:

http://captive.sf.net (i think).

> I believe the best (for > best read most portable) format to use is fat32.

You are perfectly right. fat32 also support large
partitions (e.g 200 GB). But you can't use the tools
from the nice people from redmond, because the have
limited it to 32 GB. So you need to create the partition
with a third party tool (e.g. partition magic on win
do the job, other tools perhaps also).

Best Regards,

Carsten