On Mar 30, 2008, at 1:05 PM, Peter Lissaman wrote:

It turns out that the apex position is indeed taken by the oldest and strongest bird. Would he, they asked, take the easiest job? My answer was:"yes."!

He may be a bird-brain but he's not stupid.

That leads to my theory on how various religious traditions came into being. Once humans reached a level of caloric & social security that allowed some citizens to live past their sexually and huntingly (sic) productive years, the longer-lived individuals had to develop an argument for being fed by their younger counterparts. What better way than to promise they could bring the sun back if only they were fed while they performed the necessary rituals.

-d-