Re: [FRIAM] A talk of possible interest to FRIAMers: Harpers 2008 July, The
Perfect Game, Joshuah Bearman, tells how Pac Man video game masters use
profound "flow" states, ranging from perfectly rational to highly intuitive:
Rich Murray 2008.07.13
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rmforall/messages/81

At the end of Jeannette M. Wing's jubilant talk, I added that Computational
Thinking also promotes expanded states of awareness, including access to
information and processes that range from intuition to parapsychological to
revelatory, leading to faster irreversible personal evolution.  A lady told
me she totally agreed, while Jeannette was graciously approving when I
chatted with her, as I added that profound ethical values are also
inculcated -- trustworthiness, honesty, generosity, openness to many
viewpoints, fairness, fearlessness, optimism, playfulness, humor,
directness, tact, politeness, cooperativeness, prejudice free, accuracy,
rationality, service, community evolution, continuing education, innovation,
harmlessness, gentleness, beauty -- values essential for world evolution.

http://harpers.org/archive/2008/07/0082097

http://www.localseoguide.com/off-topic-great-weekend-reading-the-pac-man-master/

The Perfect Game: Five years with the master of Pac-Man  describes how a
great master, starting in 1982 achieved the first perfect game  in 1999,
with the highest possible score of 3,333,360 points for all 256 levels,
playing without eating from July 1 to July 3, "...executed 30,000 precisely
calculated turns for a perfect run..."  The screens of these championship
games are videotaped to allow verification, and should enable innovative
detailed studies of human capabilities.

Walter Day, the field's master referee, an expert in Transcendental
Meditation, comments, "I believe the players are connecting to something
really profound, but to see that yourself, you need to see real champions at
the controls." "True quests, he says, are about losing yourself, which in
the end is finding yourself. 'Top gamers have yogic concentration, combining
utter focus with extreme relaxation, like what I studied with the
Maharishi.'  Walter says the players, like all great athletes, can enter
flow states when navigating Pac-Man or marathoning on games like Nibbler.
And many players do in fact report moments, deep into the hours, when
everything but the game recedes. 'It's happened to me many time,' Dwayne
says, 'It's like you have some kind of automatic comprehension.'  Russians
say this is 'the white moment.'  Zen action describes it as the ability to
'do without doing'.  Walter calls it 'an expanded insight' that just might
lead to a new world record."

Two masters studied the game for many years. "They thoroughly internalized
Pac-Man's programming rules, its telos and its gestalt, and they came to
realize something important, which was that this closed system was
perfect -- a controllable, predictable universe in a box. 'What I learned,
is that everything has a reason.'"

However, Abdner Bancroft Ashman, a Jamaican immigrant from Queens, 41, a
construction worker, shy and soft-spoken, spends most of his evenings
practicing in the basement of his mother's home, under a bare overhead bulb.
"Unlike Billy, he has no explanation for how he does what he does.  He can
play with either hand and recall entire games in his head, and yet he takes
no notes, compiles no data, and has never once thought about the game's
code. 'All I see is the joystick,' he says.''

"Abdner's chosen game, Ms. Pac-Man, is substantially more difficult than
Pac-Man. 'Pac-Man can be controlled,' Abner explains.  'But Ms. Pac-Man is
random.'  As each level starts, the movements of the ghosts are briefly
unpredictable, and therefore the player must create a new technology on the
fly.  Every time, order anew....After crafting his game alone... Abdner
emerged as the seventh confirmed master...."

"Ms. Pac-Man's non-Newtonian ambiguity is frustrating for Billy and Chris,
because it confounds perfection and challenges Billy Mitchell's belief in
universal causality.  Abdner has no such grand theories, but he has set
three record scores in rapid succession. each higher than the last."

"'Billy plays literally,' Dwayne says. 'He is a reductionist.' Dwayne is
good friends with Billy and holds his game play in high regard.  'But the
thing is,' Dwayne adds, 'Abdner takes an ecological approach.  He'll take
insights from anywhere, even from dreams.  It's the consummate technician
versus the artist.'  What Dwayne is proposing -- what the players all
propose, in fact, when they whisper among the consoles about Abdner's secret
knowledge that can only be guessed at -- is not technology at all but a kind
of magic.  'Billy's the best at zeros and ones,' Dwayne says. 'But what if
truth is in between?'"

"Struggling to describe his playing, Abdner once said he tries to make
'logic out of chaos.'"

So, for me, this is confirming evidence about higher levels of reality
emerging into personal experience, transcending "causality", taking
"insights from anywhere even from dreams,"  "a kind of magic", as "truth is
in between", as we "make logic out of chaos."

In mutual service,  Rich Murray  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  505-501-2298

Lively Communion: Invoking Mutual Meditative Exploration  2001.06.22