        Steve, your narrative brought back lovely memories.
        Thanks
        Victoria

On Aug 21, 2011, at 10:11 AM, Nicholas Thompson wrote:

Steve,

It was not the icy hand of the parent I detected, but that of the EDITOR. Think about those ghost written personal essays that appear in SA “written” by famous scientists describing their breakthroughs. (Well, unless Aidan’s parent was a SA editor.)
Yuch!

Nick

From: Steve Smith [mailto:s...@lava3d.com]
Sent: Sunday, August 21, 2011 12:05 PM
To: disc...@sfcomplex.org
Subject: Re: [sfx: Discuss] 13 yr-old builds fibonacci tree solar collector

I raised children (2 daughters, now 30 and 32) up in a drinking town with a small science problem (aka Los Alamos) and enjoyed (or endured) any number of science fairs and the like.

Almost exclusively, I saw two kinds of science fair projects. Those thrown together by the kids themselves with varying degrees of interest, acumen, and flair for presentation, and those either done by or carefully supervised by an overzealous parent. It was not clear that the judges recognized or acted upon the implications of that division.

I provided my daughters with lots of encouragement, some ideas, and the occasional hard question, but I never did their work for them... and it showed at the science fairs and I was proud of them. Daughter #1 was type-A and proceeded to excel in spite of the steep uphill climb in this "popular science blood sport" and daughter #2 was quite happy to get a B for her efforts and move on to a project or topic less fraught with false-competition.

The elder is now a PhD researcher in biomedicine (West Nile, Dingue Fever). She loves her work and hates her job (already). She is in her second Lab and trying to start her own. She competes daily with other researchers whose parents probably did their science fair projects for them... and what was quaint when she was growing up (taking second or third place to other kids whose work product was clearly not their own) is career numbing for her. Now these very types are willing to say or do anything (up to and including very bad science) to either keep their comfortable spot comfortable or to advance their position. From her point of view, big science (or at least medical science) is a pretty ugly scene. Many NIH and NSF project reviewers seem to be cut from the same cloth as science fair judges.

Now, for the subject of the science project. I don't expect a 13 year old (or the average hockey-parent highly informing the project) to have very tight controls on the experiment (reflective surface nearby? identical, calibrated cells?) or to have a firm handle on the concept which they are supposedly studying.

There are at least two issues with the "fibonnaci tree solar collector"... one is the distribution of the angles of the solar cells and the other is the potential for shading. Having done my own relatively ad-hoc work in this area (orientation of windows in a passive solar addition, and the preliminary analysis of holographic optical elements to enhance PVs) I know there are hidden variables that are not being addressed (at least not in the report).

At best, this science project is a demonstration of an already understood principle about the nature of fibonacci distributed solar collection (photosynthetic leaves). Without looking closely at this young man's (or his parent's) data, I can't tell what all was going on, but I'd suggest that if these cells were wired in series, that the ones oriented toward the eastern horizon had an interesting effect of preconditioning the others oriented otherwise. On cold mornings in the dead of winter, there are not that many hours in the day where a solar cell gets enough incident light to actually get above the threshold of functioning. I speculate that by one or more cells getting an "early start" by being oriented toward the rising sun, the current generated may actually begin to warm the other cells enough that they in turn begin to generate electricity significantly earlier than they would otherwise. How that plays out against the amount of time in the day that these extreme orientations are totally useless (a small resistive loss?) is both a question of geometry and of various thresholds.

All that said, I think the 13 year old (or his parent) did fine and may even grow past his parent's involvement to think independently and do his own work. He now has an inkling (no matter how he came by it) of the value of optimizing in a multidimensional problem space and looking to biomimicry for ideas in engineering.

- Steve

--
Los Alamos Visualization Associates
LAVA-Synergy