On Wednesday 12 May 2004 00:08, Jeff Workman wrote:
> --On Tuesday, May 11, 2004 4:16 PM -0400 Sean Milheim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> wrote:
> > However there is also pop3s and imaps.
>
> I make pop3s and imaps available for email users as well as the unencrypted
> versions.  When I tell somebody how to setup their account I tell them that
> they should use the SSL version, and since 99% of them are using Outlook
> Express there's no reason they shouldn't, right?  My mail logs show maybe 3
> people, excluding myself, that use imaps/pop3s, and I am the only user that
> uses STARTTLS with SMTP.

Well, that is in part due to your approach.  I myself would probably find a
way to bring it like this: "Company policy requires that the most secure
transport currently available is used. Therefore, as of ../../2004 you _will_
need to connect with pop3s, since we no longer offer plain pop3 logins."
Of course, the neccessary help / training should be offered as well.

And, you can always make exceptions for certain people / cases later on.

> Apparently the users don't care, so why should we?

Users are lazy, and uninformed.  Give them a choice and they will always go
for the status quo / the easiest way. Give them NO choice and you're good.

Maarten

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html