On Thu, 2008-07-31 at 01:16 +0100, Thomas Adam wrote:
> 2008/7/31 Thomas Adam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> # Default case -- if you want foo iconic, damn well tell it to.  If
> "foo" accepts a way to change a class/title use it to your
> # advantage in its style.

> If this "foo" application doesn't have an iconify flag to it then:

Thanks for this suggestion (also from Perry).  Indeed, an "-iconic" flag
was the first thing that I looked for; but alas, for my applications
(firefox for one, evolution for another) there is no such feature.  In
addition, I saw in the mailing list archives (1) that there is no easy
way to give a specific firefox instance a unique name or class.

> DestroyFunc SomeFoo
> AddToFunc   SomeFoo
> + I Exec exec foo
> + I Wait foo
> + I Next (foo) Iconify

Okay, I wasn't sure that the "Next" command would _always_ match the
most recently launched instance of "foo".

> Which is more likely in your case -- really, StartIconic is only
> useful on brain-dead applications which don't provide an -iconic flag,

I think that most of the applications I use are "braindead" according to
this definition.

> I will ask though why this is such a special case on *init*.  The only
> usecase for this is if you start up "foo" specifically before FVWM
> starts up --- but this seems odd.  Very odd.  So how can there be more
> copies of foo running *prior* to the SomeFoo function running at Init?

Okay, you're right.  I may be a little different, but I'm not _odd_.  My
task at hand is to do this on init, but I wanted to know if there was a
way to do this in general---just for future reference.  Sorry for the
confusion.

I'd like to make a feature request:  Can we please add an option to the
Exec (and probably PipeRead) command to somehow "tag" an application for
a specific style?  This seems pretty basic, but I admit being a little
naive.  I think this is a feature that would be beneficial to others (1)
as well.

My thanks to you and Perry for your responses.

--Ethan

(1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/msg16246.html