-- Johannes Schill <johanne...@polyester.se> wrote
(on Tuesday, 31 August 2010, 03:02 PM +0200):
> I know this has been up before, but there were no good solution back then:
>
> Is there a good way to integrate phpbb (or similar software) with zend
> framework? What im looking for is to use phpbb's forum features and i want
> phpbb to use my zend framework authentication / user handling.

Some 3rd party applications allow you to operate in an "embedded" mode,
which allows you to wrap the application within another -- which also
typically means you can "skin" it with your site layout. However, these
are few and far between, and I'm not sure if phpbb is one of those.

If your software doesn't support that, you can operate it by proxy. In
this situation, you run it on a separate vhost that only listens on the
localhost adapter (typically 127.0.0.1). You then write a "stripped"
template that doesn't include things like the <head> section or <html>
and <body> tags. Your main ZF application then has a route that
understands requests coming to this application, and fires off HTTP
requests to the local vhost and includes the page into your site layout.
You can even do some post-processing of the returned HTML to slurp in
necessary stylesheet and JS includes into your <head> section. The price
you pay is performance and load -- every request to such a page now
invokes the overhead of two HTTP requests (even if one of those isn't
actually going over the wire).

Project Lead            | matt...@zend.com
Zend Framework          | http://framework.zend.com/