On Nov 24, 2008, at 8:39 PM, jonas ulrich wrote:

> I got a 366MHZ clamshell from someone for $3!!!!!! (I gave him a
> keyboard i
> got for $3). He said it kept freezing up. the second ram chip was
> loose so i
> reseted it and was able to install 10.2 on it without a glitch!
> Well... it
> started freezing up. I put 10.3 on it, i cleaned out the ram slot,
> replaced
> the ram chip. No luck. Sometimes it will run fine with no problems.
> Most of
> the time in safe boot. I have run Rember to test the ram and it came
> out
> fine. It has 64MB built in ram and an extra 256MB chip. Ideas?

Run Memtest in single user mode, via Applejack see if the onboard RAM
is bad. Rember can't test some of the memory. Memtest in Single user
mode can.

Don't have a clue what you would do if that were the case, but it
would diagnose the problem.

When you said 'replaced' the 256 did you mean put the existing one
back in, or replaced with another 256 SO-DIMM?

If it runs ok in safe mode, something that's loading in regular mode
is causing the problem.

See <http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1455> for ideas of where to look
for problems . Safe mode does different things in different versions
of OS X.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona