On Mar 7, 2011, at 4:12 PM, Dan wrote:

>> Now I'm trying to figure out how to make him administrator so he has access.
>
> Still not a good idea.
>
> He needs to logout.  Then you  login to an administrator account, open System
> Preferences, Accounts tab, and select his account.  Check the box for admin.
> Then can login again.

Actually I'll disagree with Dan here; it works perfectly well to do this while
the user is logged in; you have to use the credentials of an current
administrator to do so, of course, but once you've done this they can do
anything they want. No need to log out or any such stuff...it's not Windows,
after all :-)

I've done it lots of times (Apple keeps changing the rules for AD accounts;
currently admin rights granted via Active Directory settings are only active
when actually logged onto the domain; you have to check the 'this user can
administer the computer' box in their account settings for it to work when
they're not connected, even for so-called 'mobile' accounts.)

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona