At 12:14 AM +0200 4/13/2012, Valter Prahlad wrote:
In the past, I noticed MacOS had problems with +R optical media (so I always
used -R (or -RW) media afterwards), I don't know if this is still true.

Most of the discs I'm burning are destined for a Lite-On DVD-Recorder/Player, that requires + media. But I did test with -R and -RW media, and got the same results.

Anyway, I usually set the burning speed to lower than maximum, freed up Ram quitting most programs, and I didn't do anything "CPU heavy" while burning.

Using a slower burn speed doesn't seem to make a diff. CPU usage doesn't made a diff. It's memory that's doing it.

I think DVD burning has high data throughput, so a G4 can't likely handle all of it while doing something else intensive.

The G4 has more than enough i/o bandwidth to handle any optical drive.

 > (Burn is the most convenient, simple  drag'n'drop

Maybe Burn hasn't a "smart" enough memory managing?
I always used Toast, maybe it's memory management is better.

Finder, Burn, and Toast - same results.

- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth.