On Apr 15, 2012, at 3:23 AM, W.Adrian D'Alessio wrote:

> What if it is something between the mobo and burner? A bad cable for example
> ? A bad solder joint on a port ?
>
> Could you borrow another burner and try ? Or another cable?

That wouldn't explain the actual issue that Dan's narrowed it down to, which is
that Burn needs a lot of free memory to work; bad hardware like that would show
itself even with maximum free memory.

I think Dan's either got a subtly messed up OS X install, found some obscure
bug in the hdiutil program (the common point between Burn and Finder's burning
capability, I suspect), or simply does this more than anyone else in the
world...which I doubt.

At this point, Dan, what I'd suggest is go ahead and use the purge sledgehammer
as needed; you could probably even write an applescript or bash script, wrap it
up with Platypus (<http://sveinbjorn.org/platypus>, which have I mentioned
lately how much I Love, LOVE LOVE this tool?) and make a droplet that purges
your VM before burning.

Maybe log off and back in before a burning session and don't do anything else.

Don't suppose you have a spare drive you could toss 10.5 on and test it on that
machine...maybe it's something Apple's fixed since 10.4...

--
Bruce Johnson

"Wherever you go, there you are" B. Banzai,  PhD