Demosthenes Koptsis ha scritto:
> in shell you can do it by
>
> echo "Program started" >> /var/log/messages
>
> note* >> means redirection to the end of file, so it is append
>
> if you type > you will erase the contents of the file and put only
> "Program started"
>
> now you can use this command with SHELL.

Thank you.
I was pointing out to Benoit that invoking SHELL to run a /bin/echo,
which could seem stupid at first, it is not so stupid because in a
single line you do what gambas would do in three lines. So, it could be
nice to have something similar native in gambas, because in unix
everything is a file. I suspect that this feature would be useful only
in a few situations, so one can well write a subroutine to do that, but
anyway I tried to think at a possible syntax: PRINT/TO, or PRINT/APPEND.
It's funny to invent these things... Writing a subroutine has the
disadvantage that every functionality has the same syntax. Look at what
is clearer:

    print "Started" to "/var/log/messages"              ' good and clear
syntax
    myappend("/var/log/messages", "Started")        ' much less readable

or, on the wave of these new stupid languages:

    Os.FileSystemUtilities.AppendStringToFile("/var/log/messages",
"Started");

Note that in the myappend() call you don't know, at first, if "Started"
is appended to /var/log/messages, or "/var/log/messages" is appended to
./start. Then you go to the declaration to check this... where is the
declaration in a big project having tenth of sources? I agree that
choosing good names for identifiers is a must, but there could be
something better.

Regards,
Doriano