i am not the person that should answer but i will as i understood well
as possible the concept of Gambas ..

i think Gambas concept is to keep a Basic style language as possible
can. So an % operator is a foreign word for a Basic language.

>From the other hand it would be nice Gambas to be a better Basic
language with the meaning to have the good things of other languages but
with Basic style so to be an advanced Basic more strong to be near other
Linux style languages.

As i know Basic does not have pointers either.
But Gambas 3 has!

And the EXTERN function leads things more than a Basic language.

So in my opinion an % operator is not so big deal thing to be out of a
Basic language.

Indeed i suggest it as a wish/new feature if you like.

But all depends how Basic like style we want to keep.