Comment #3 on issue 265 by green.da...@gmail.com: New connection with
password causes Gambas crash.
http://code.google.com/p/gambas/issues/detail?id=265

Unless I am mistaken, gb.desktop relies on xdg-utils to report the desktop
currently in use. The more I dig into this the more it looks like the
problem is more with xdg-utils not properly reporting Mate as the active
desktop.

As a temporary workaround, if it were possible to expose the desktop.type
property as read/write, the property could be set to "GNOME" which should
force the system to use the gnome keyring system for saving passwords.

The importance in this is that Mate has a growing number of users as a lot
of users do not like the direction of Gnome3 nor KDE. Mate is a
continuation of the Gnome2 look and feel.

I will continue to look at how xdg-utils can be made to detect Mate.