Fabien,
In the end I got the job done with String.Remove rather than
String.Extract(). In this particular case it was easier to remove the
elements already processed and then pass the remainder in a recursive
call to the same procedure for further processing.

In the short time I had to experiment I could not get String.Delete()
to delete anything. It seems to be that the documentation is correct -
it is the same as String.Extract(), though why it is called Delete is
not clear.

Richard