On 03/10/2015 09:30 AM, Jussi Lahtinen wrote:
>> There should be parent/child relationships between each message.
>
> I agree, this is preserved by gmail.
>

>> Quotes should be begin/end pointers referring to the message being quoted,
>> not
>> duplicating its text. This way the email client could display message
>> threads however it (or the end user) liked without affecting everyone
>> else's preferred reading or writing habits, and be able to easily detect
>> when someone's top-posted (though top-posting and adding a sig at the
>> very bottom could confuse things).
>>
> You might be describing gmail... have you tried it?

I have a Gmail account and have it set up in Thunderbird along with my
other accounts which use IMAP. I run my own mail server from my house
(eightvirtues.com) for those. The Gmail account is old and I try not to
use it much. Even if Gmail is an ideal solution, I'd like a more
"universal" solution that isn't tied to one company's whims and IP. It
does sound like Google has a handle on how things should be done;
perhaps they could lead the charge to revolutionize email.

--
Kevin Fishburne
Eight Virtues