Hi Tom.

I wouldn't say the rule book needs throwing out, so much as just rethinking. For example, you list the telegraphing of attacks as something for fighting games. While they could be used in that way, there is no reason not to use them elsewhere.

For example, suppose that you were creating a space invaders style game. Thus far with a few exceptions, most audio space invaders style games haven't given the invaders much chance to do you damage other than by flying into you.

Well suppose you gave a sound for just before the invader fired, and a sound when the shot hit the ground, then, instead of having the player instantly hit if he/she was under the ship when it fired, have the time the shot took to reach the ground dictated by how far the enemy was away from you.

This would efectively mean that while the invaders would descend slowly, your job as a player wasn't simply to knock them off as fast as possible, but to dodge their bullets, either shooting them before they had a chance to fire, shooting them then dodging out of the way of the bullet, or even waiting until the bullet hit the ground, then running in and taking the invader out before the invader could fire again.

Yes, you would have to reduce the number of invading ships on screen to at most about five, but I'd much rather need to duck and dive and dodge shots to evade five ships then have a hoard of 10 ships who I am just trying to blast Asap.

This is the sort of thing I mean, considdering not just how to replicate a given game in audio, but how to replicate the mechanics of it's challenge factor so that it becomes more than just a reaction test.

Of course, this has been done to an extent. Alien outback is great with it's various ship types and even has a ship with a powered up shot, (it's a shame it still has lots of fairly easy to slay ships too but there you go).

I'd say it's a matter of trying to make sure the player has to do more than just hear and react instantlywhile factors such as analogue movement and randomness can help with that, given that audio has a limited view,it's a matter of making that view as challenging as possible and requiring much active participation from the player as possible.

Beware the grue!
dark.

SoBeware the grue!