Sent this message yesterday, but don't think it has got through, so
resend this again.

Apologies if you got it twice.

From: Chiu, PCM (Peter)
Sent: 22 April 2008 09:48
To: ganglia-general@lists.sourceforge.net
Cc: Chiu, PCM (Peter)
Subject: Some newbie questions

I am trying to set up ganglia to monitor some Linux boxes (mostly Suse
but some RedHat).

Some questions, possibly due to my ignorance on this, but hopefully
someone can explain these unknown to me:

a.      In gmond.conf, for the gmetad running host, I can specify the
upd_recv_channel with a host entry pointing to itself,

but the same setting for a host to be monitored will get rejected.  For
the latter I need to specify it with a mcast address.

b.      If I then specified a mcast address in gmond.conf for the gmetad
running host, then the gmetad server will have problems

in communicating with hosts connected to network switches in the next
hop and beyond.

c.       Very often when I restart the gmond or gmetad daemons, earlier
data captured are NOT shown any more.  The display seems to start with a
new beginning.  Is it possible to retain the earlier captured data and
keep a continuous display?

d.      How are the disk free and disk total calculated?    I cannot see
how they reflect our systems, probably because we have more than one
disk drives.  Can I specify which disk(s) that I would like to monitor?

e.      Finally, can I set a threshold to trigger a change of colour in
the display, and if so, how?

Sorry for so many questions, but very grateful if someone can help or
point me the direction.

Regards,

Peter