From: <k...@kirkley.net>
Sender: gatortalk@googlegroups.com
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2011 08:47:48
To: <gatortalk@googlegroups.com>
Subject: RE: [gatortalk] Well... on one hand...

Brantley has the skill set, the problem this year was mental.  We have seen him
make throws before, even this year at times he looked good.  I think his
problems stemmed from a variety of sources:
- bad o-line play - from the bad snaps to generally scrambling for his life he
never got confidence sitting in the pocket.
- poor playcalling - knowing that we didn't have a real threat at QB to run and
knowing we had a mish-mash Oline due to injuries, we still ran the same offense
as we did last year.

-bad team chemistry between upperclassmen and freshmen - to offset the poor
playcalling, the coaches then let a couple of freshmen QBs take snaps and they
have success running the spread.  I think this increased tension on the team
- fan criticism - I realize he probably doesn't obsess as much as we do, but he
had to hear it.  That had to be hard since this is his dream.

I think all of this led to a kid that by the end of the year was scared to make
a mistake, and that is when you usually make them.  He would check down to his
safe pass almost immediately, I think by the end of the year, the only way
Johnny would thrown the ball deep is if the WR was uncovered at the line.

The big question is, will he be able to regain his confidence and gain the
trust of his underclassmen teammates.  We have the talent on the roster to be
good next year, what we need is to get all those names to become a team.  Coach
Dawg has his work cut out for him.

Ken K
MNGator