The definitions are correct. For the union you want a rectangle (or polygon)
that's larger than the input, indeed. But you want the smallest of those
rectangles, because there's an infinity of them. The larger ones would cover an
arbitrary area of the plane (or the globe, if you want).

Same for the intersection. You want the largest polygon equal to or contained
in the inputs. Otherwise a smaller answer could just as well be a single point
(or empty), even in nondegenerate cases.

Please verify I’m parsing these words the way you intend. To me it sounds like
you’re saying the labels for these figures should be reversed? (for gdal)

[cid:image003.png@01D8E3BA.985DDCA0]

-Matt