[Trimming down a bit]

On 6 Sep 2016, at 22:57, Suresh Krishnan wrote:

OLD: If a client wants to refresh an existing allocation and update its time-to-expiry or delete an existing allocation, it will send a Refresh
    Request as described in Section 7.1 of [RFC5766]

    NEW:
If a client wants to refresh an existing allocation and update its time-to-expiry or delete an existing allocation, it MUST send a Refresh Request as described in Section 7.1 of [RFC5766] and MUST NOT include a
    MOBILITY-TICKET attribute.

I will try to explain my line of reasoning. Let me know where you disagree. If the client includes a MOBILTY-TICKET attribute in the refresh method, the refresh will fail. So, the MUST NOT is aimed at preventing the client from
sending a useless packet that will be rejected anyway.

"Useless" seems not a good reason for a "MUST NOT". Perhaps Tiru's explanation of "will cause an extra retransmission" is a better reason. But as I said, this isn't one that I will complain too vociferously about: What this says is "don't include the attribute; it will be rejected and you'll have to retransmit"; if you want a "MUST NOT" for that, so be it. But:

The MUST stresses that
the original Refresh procedure from RFC5766 needs to be used instead of the
Refresh procedure with the MOBILITY-TICKET described in this one.

Ah! If that's was meant, that's not what was said. It sounds like you're saying that the client *can't* refresh a request by simply sending an allocate request with the old MOBILITY-TICKET. And then I get a bit confused about the MUST NOT: The next sentence after this bit says:

   If the client wants to retain
   the existing allocation in case of IP change, it will include the
   MOBILITY-TICKET attribute received in the Allocate Success response.

The previous sentence says that you MUST NOT include the attribute. This sentence says that you do include it. I suspect that what was intended was, "If you *just* want to refresh to retain the existing allocation in case of an IP change, you can send an allocate request including the old MOBILITY-TICKET attribute. If you need to update time-to-expiry or delete the allocation, then you *can't* just send a new allocate request with the attribute; that will get rejected. You instead *have to* use the refresh request in 5766." Do I have that right? If so, the paragraph could use a rewrite; it's not the MUST and the MUST NOT that are the problem.

Anyway, I
am not wedded to keeping the MUST as long as the MUST NOT prevents the
sending of a packet that is certain to be rejected.

Ack. See above.

pr
--
Pete Resnick <http://www.qualcomm.com/~presnick/>
Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. - +1 (858)651-4478