On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 7:30 PM, Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 14:21, Craig L Russell <craig.russ...@sun.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Nov 6, 2009, at 10:43 AM, Greg Stein wrote:
>>
>>> But with all that said, how about we do this: we'll do a 1.6.7 release
>>> from the 1.6.x branch after we do the code import. That release will
>>> be performed by svncorp (we don't want to touch every file on that
>>> branch to relicense it, and to switch file headers). The release
>>> process can be followed/tracked by the Incubator PMC. I'll make sure
>>> to relay pointers to all relevant threads as the release is performed.
>>>
>> I don't think that releasing svn by svncorp without any Apache license
>> proves anything except that they can make a release after moving the
>> repository. So if it makes anyone happy, fine. But it's not an Apache
>> release.
>>
>> I'd be interested in seeing a release after it's been licensed to Apache and
>> has all of the Apache license, notice, and packaging.
>
> It already has the Apache License (v2), and it uses a NOTICE file (per
> the license), and our packaging is tighter/stronger than typical
> Apache releases (per Justin's note). Are there other items to an
> "Apache release" that are needed to demonstrate that the svn project
> understands the proper release process?
>
> The 1.7 release is not on the schedule at all, while we're going to do
> a 1.6.7 release in a few weeks.
>
> We're naturally very reticent to disrupt a prior-release branch with a
> massive relicense.

I found the above a bit misleading. From what I can see the current
trunk for subversion (I guess thats going to be 1.7+) had the ALv2
headers applied 4 months ago:

http://svn.collab.net/viewvc/svn?view=revision&revision=38370

But the 1.6.x branch is still using the old license headers:

http://svn.collab.net/viewvc/svn/branches/1.6.x/

So I guess(?) the subversion guys don't want to duplicate that effort
on the 1.6.x branch.

Niall