Duncan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> As much as for backup, having the binary packages ... has been
> useful for looking up exactly what /was/ included in a package, and
> where it should be, both for the version I have currently merged,
> and for a version or two back, when something quits working and I'm
> trying to figure out why.

A portage log is useful for that sort of thing.

I also didn't get burned by the xorg-x11 bug, for me also because I
had lib the symlink to lib64.

> Of course, having several versions of binary package available also
> helps when one wants to test a quick reversion to a previous
> version, to see if it fixes a problem, without having to remerge it
> from source.

I did that to back out of the latest binutils, which gives hardened
toolchain a mild head cold.  And if I don't trust installing some
software unattended, I emerge with --buildpkgonly and let that do its
work, then install later with --usepkgonly.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://www.chemoelectric.org
"Even if they say lofty things like `democracy' or whatever