On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 8:17 PM, Tom <uebersh...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> In recent kernels there is also direct writable support (stable, not
>> experimental support) for NTFS without having to use NTFS-3G/FUSE.
>
> Really??
>
> Just how recent do you mean?
> Is it reliable? Are there any constraints left, such has 'only
> overwriting files the same size' and such show-stoppers?
>
> To make my question really clear: IS IT READY FOR DAILY USE??
>
> If so, I love you, and want your babys Ben, for letting me know... ;)
>
> Tom

If you mount using the userspace tools, yes it is ready for daily use
:) The kernel driver still has limitations like, IIRC, being unable to
create/rename/delete directories, and some other basic things like
that.

Using the FUSE tools from the classical NTFS driver you can do those
things and the rest, but I think NTFS-3G is generally considered
better. Most of the big distros use NTFS-3G as their default NTFS
driver (as do I <g>)

For more NTFS info than you ever wanted, check out www.linux-ntfs.org
for the classic kernel driver and www.ntfs-3g.org for the newer
driver.