On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 04:46:54 +0200
Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerar...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> But despair not. You want latest X? Install the X11 overlay. It is there to
> test the very latest stuff. You want latest gcc? gcc-porting is for you (gcc
> 4.4 is just sweet...). Perl? perl-experimental.
>
> Today a lot of stuff is tested in overlays first, before becoming part of the
> portage tree. This could be faster - but again, manpower is the magic word.
> (also one reason why I dislike overlays: it makes portage tree looking stale
> and gentoo looking dead, while the overlays are very alive).

I wasn't too familiar with the overlays.  I thought they were just a repository
for unusual packages, but I guess they are essentially the developmental
branch of Gentoo.

The issue of manpower is very interesting and also a little disturbing.
Perhaps this isn't the proper place to discuss such a topic, but after
deciding to switch to Gentoo only a few months ago, a certain blog post
has captured my attention:

http://ben.liveforge.org/2009/06/04/gentoo-dying

Frank Peters