Matthew Summers posted on Tue, 15 Jul 2014 09:18:23 -0500 as excerpted:

> So, libressl is really nowhere near ready for prime time or even late
> night TV (perhaps the day time talk shows, but that is a stretch given
> the PRNG situation). I think preparing a virtual and updating dependent
> ebuilds for the explosion of replacements is grand, however we should
> make it _very_ clear to everyone that issues exist that make libressl
> unsafe for anything other than play time.

Here's another link for those following along:

Ars-technica (via LWN):

OpenSSL fork LibreSSL is declared "unsafe for Linux"

http://lwn.net/Articles/605509/rss

Basically it's a pid-duplication issue, aka an "I'm my own grandpa"
issue, as someone mentions in the comments.

There's also a note both in the comments and now on the original Ars
article saying a patch has already been pushed, but the point stands,
"nowhere near ready for prime time" indeed.

It'll take a bit of time, but for now as already suggested, introducing
the virtual with the single openssl provider does seem reasonable.