On Sunday 09 February 2003 17:07, Roger Hawley wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Feb 2003 14:44:07 -0500
>
> Ernie Schroder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > what if you log in as user and do "startx"? that might tell you
> > something...if that fails post back to the list and attach
> > /var/log/XFree86.0.log and /etc/rc.conf
>
> There were 2 errors in my /etc/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0 file.
> Line 7 said there was no /usr/kde/3.1/bin/kdmdesktop so I copied
> one from /usr/kde/3/bin but that just changed the background color
> from green to my usual blue on the logon window. Clicking on the various
> sessions still kicked me back to the logon window.
> Line 25 cd:/usr/share/config/kdm: no such file or directory
> This one is probably not important since it appears to go through
> all the other /usr/kde directories as well/.
> At the console:
>  startx = take me to Xsession with two xterm windows.
>  gdm = gives  error while loading shared libraries: libaudiofile.so.0:
>               cannot open shared object file: no such file or directory
>  kdm = logon window merry-go-round
>
> Gentoo is on my other drive so I can't attach the requested files but
> they both look ok to me. It looks like libaudiofile is the probable
> culprit and not X per se. What do you think.
> Thanks, Roger
# What display manager do you use ?  [ xdm | gdm | kdm ]

look in /etc/rc.conf. look near the end for these lines: If this doesn't help
then I don't know what to say. Other opinions?

DISPLAYMANAGER=kdm  # Make sure this line is uncommented (xdm should work as
# well)

# XSESSION is a new variable to control what window manager to start
# default with X if run with xdm, startx or xinit.  The default behavior
# is to look in /etc/X11/Sessions/ and run the script in matching the
# value that XSESSION is set to.  The support scripts is smart enouth to
# look in all bin directories if it cant find a match in /etc/X11/Sessions/,
# so setting it to "enligtenment" can also work.  This is basically used
# as a way for the system admin to configure a default system wide WM,
# allthough it will work if the user export XSESSION in his .bash_profile,
etc.
#
# NOTE: this behaviour is overridden when a ~/.xinitrc or ~/.xsession exists
#       for the particular program run ( ~/.xinitrc for startx, ... ).
#
# Defaults depending on what you install currently include:
#
# Gnome - will start gnome-session
# kde-<version> - will start startkde (ex: kde-3.0.2)
# Xsession - will start a terminal and a few other nice apps

XSESSION=kde-3.0.5  #this line should show the version of kde you use
# (probably kde-3.1) and is uncommented

--
Regards, Ernie
100% Microsoft and Intel free