> It is either a hardware failure, or a latest gcc clash - and I lean
> towards the latter.

The descriptions of the crashes/hangs lead me to suspect the power supply.
Athlons (and now P4s) coupled with Nvidia cards draw huge instaneous currents
off the 3.3 V line.  The typical power supply can't keep the voltage in
spec under such a load, or get very noisy when loaded.

For the typical Athlon, the +3.3V and +5V should be able to provide a
combined 150 W.  That gives around 30A on the +5V and 14A on the +3.3V.
The label on the power supply should state what the current each voltage
provides and what the combined power rating is.

Recommended supplies would be ones like -

                Antec TruePower350
                PC Power & Cooling Silencer 275 ATX/ATX12V
                PC Power & Cooling TurboCool 350 ATX

FWIW - Athlon 1.2 GHz MP, 512 MB memory, gcc 3.2.1-r6, -mcpu=athlon-xp,
        -O3, kernel 2.4.19-xfs-r2, Pc Power & Cooling Silencer 400.

Bob