On my system, cat /dev/usbmouse will show the raw mouse data (garbage on the screen) you mention.

if you cat /proc/bus/usb/devices you should see a line in the cryptic output that shows your mouse. It should at least have this line in there somewhere.

S: Manufacturer=Logitech

You would have to know some fairly arcane information (device and product ID numbers) to verify whether its actually your mouse if you have some other Logitech USB device attached too.

Also if you look at the kernel log, you should see a message appear when you plug in the usb mouse. if you are using metalog, you may not see the message because it is buffered and not written to the file immeadiately unless you send a signal to metalog to request it not to buffer kernel messages.

Lastly, for X Windows you need to edit the mouse entry in /etc/X11/XF86Config (or XF86Config-4). Here is what I have for my Logitech Cordless Mouseman wheelmouse model M-RR63:

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "USB Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "CorePointer"
Option "Protocol" "imps/2"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

And down in the Server Layout section be sure the identifier matches:

InputDevice "USB Mouse" "CorePointer"

Hope this helps,

Barry

You would have to know some fairly arcane information (device and product ID numbers) to verify whet

Eric Miller wrote:

I have an optical USB Logitech mouse that I want to
use on my gentoo system. My USB is on the
motherboard, and cat /proc/pci shows:

USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 USB
(rev 1).
IRQ 9.
Master Capable. Latency=32.
I/O at 0xd400 [0xd41f].
Bus 0, device 4, function 3:

So, I think its working ok. But, before I go changing
my X config (which I have working fine with my ps2
mouse), how can I check to make sure it is working? You know like you cat /dev/mouse and move the mouse
around to get it to show garble on the screen? How
can I test the USB port and this mouse?

Also, what would the device and protocol entries be in
XF86Config for a USB mouse?