> mouse), how can I check to make sure it is working?
> You know like you cat /dev/mouse and move the mouse
> around to get it to show garble on the screen?  How
> can I test the USB port and this mouse?
>
> Also, what would the device and protocol entries be in
> XF86Config for a USB mouse?

Check out the Gentoo Desktop Configuration Guide (url below). There's a
whole section about setting up XFree86 and in that part, there's something
about setting up your USB mouse. You can also have more than one mouse in
XFree86. I have two mouse sections in my XF86Config file on my laptop (one
for the built-in mouse and the other for my USB mouse that I plug in from
time to time).
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/desktop.xml#doc_chap2