I reinstalled my gentoo from scratch, using sane optimization flags (-O2
-pipe -march=athlon-xp). Rebuilt everything.
I'm also using ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86", to avoid unstable packages.
My system is an Athlon XP 1800+, Soyo DRAGON Plus! Motherboard, 256mb
DDR, with a Realtek ethernet nic (eth1, local), onboard (via chipset)
nic (using dhcpd to cable modem), and a GeForce 2 MX-400 video card.
Kernel is 2.4.19-gentoo-r10, with no weird options. Just a plain kernel
for a desktop system. No GrSecurity. I activated the VIA bug workaround,
if that's the strangest thing I turned on.

Still.. haven't been able to finish compile qt. Everytime, in the middle
of the compile, I get a nice Oops, and then the kernel panics. The
process causing the panic varies. Sometimes python, sometimes scheduler,
sometimes the idle process. So, not a program's issue, happens at
random, and it's easy to reproduce. If I just emerge something big, it
WILL crash!

This is not a hardware issue. I've run Linux on this same machine
(besides Windows XP) for almost a year. Used Debian and Slackware, and
they both worked fine. It isn't, or at least shouldn't be hardware.

Please, can someone enlighten me on this one? I'm almost giving up on
Gentoo, because I can't get the system stable enough for me to use.
Ahh.. it's Gentoo 1.4rc2.

Thanks, people.

--
Bruno Lustosa, aka Lofofora          | Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Network Administrator/Web Programmer | ICQ UIN: 1406477