I haven't exactly tried it (and correct me if I'm wrong), but the
impression that I got from some document somewhere (probably the portage
user guide) was that you could override the variable:

SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
(which is usually located in make.globals)

in make.conf to be something like:

SYNC="user@host:/usr/portage"

where host is the master portage machine and user is somebody who can log
into that machine and has permission to read /usr/portage.  Then an
"emerge sync" will automatically run rsync with the SYNC argument, which
will bring /usr/portage over rsh by default (or whatever the RSH
environment variable is set to) from host.

Does this sound right?

Wes