So I checked my cups error log.  It kept giving me the error that I should check my
cups configuration file because FileDevice was disabled (default configuration)...

# FileDevice: determines whether the scheduler will allow new printers
# to be added using device URIs of the form "file:/foo/bar". [b]The default
# is not to allow file devices due to the potential security vulnerability
# and due to the fact that file devices do not support raw printing.[/b]
#

FileDevice Yes

By changing this option to 'YES', I was now able to issue the:

'foomatic-configure -s cups -p 75104 -c /dev/lp0 -n HP -d ljet4'

command without receiving any errors.  So then I had to go back into the cups web
interface and reset the printer configuration, re-adding the location and everything
as I had before:

Name: HP
Location: /dev/lp0
Device: Parallel Port #1 (Hewlett-Packard HP LaserJet 4 Plus)
Make: HP
Model: HP LaserJet Series CUPS v1.1 (en)

Now when I print a test page, it works correctly.

During this process, at some point, I had emerged gimp-print.  I don't know if this
had anything to do with the now working printer; Does anyone?

Also, is this the solution for other people experiencing these problems printing to a
local parallel printer)?  (Changing FileDevice to Yes in cupsd.conf and disabling IEEE
1284 Transfer mode in the kernel configuration?  Should the gentoo printing
documentation be changed to reflect this?

Thanks,

Devi0s