On Sunday 16 February 2003 02:25, Daniel A. Segel wrote:
> > > Step Four:  Have NVdriver autoload at startup by
> > > including it in /etc/modules.autoload.
> >
> >No.
> >X is loading the nvidia modul itself.
> >Do not(!) put it into modules.autoload, letting X do it is the cleaner
> > way.
>
> Really? X won't even start up for me if I don't load either the nvidia or
> NVdriver module via /etc/modules.autoload.

Last time I had to think about that was sometime before christmas ;o)

> Speaking of which, maybe you should explain that there are two sets of
> drivers for NVidia cards:
>
> 1. The gentoo-supplied versions are nvidia-glx-1.03123 and
> nvidia-kernel-1.0.3123 and use the NVdriver kernel module.
>
> 2. The NVidia-supplied drivers are nvidia-glx-1.0.4191 and
> nvidia-kernel-1.0.4191 and use the nvidia kernel module.
>
> You can use either one. The NVidia versions have proved more stable in my
> environment, but others have had better luck with the earlier versions.
> Also, I believe if you run the 'opengl-update nvidia' command and you have
> the gentoo version on your system (i.e. you emerged them at some point)
> then it will make the gentoo glx drivers active, even if you previously
> installed the  NVidia version. If you have mixed versions (kernel and glx)
> then some programs (like glxgears) won't run. You have to reinstall the
> NVidia version of the glx drivers to correct this.

I reinstalled my hole system after an hd crash on thursday with the help of a
live-cd with the GRP-Packages. I did an emerge -up world, installed the 3123
-stuff, than changed to ~x86 because of Xfree 4.2.99.4.
4191 was an absolut clean update.
4191 was installed, the 3121 files removed and X started fine.
I switch happy between console and X, are playing q2&vegastrike and have no
problems... instead  I am surprised that such a lot of people have problems.

Ok, most of them are 'hey, i don't read README, I want YOU to read it for ME'
or 'I love this very high optimiziation options, even they are complete
useless and make everything unstable', most of the rest are via-users..

Please people, don't be offend, but a lot of mails in this list is stuff that
is greatly explained in the provided documentation or completly discussed in
the nvidia-linux-forum.

Glück Auf,
Volker