Which docs?  The problem didnt occur with a video driver update, but
something else within gentoo.  I am not talking about the nvidia driver
but the NVdriver as nvdriver has never been installed.  It seems like
the sudden failure of older systems to load the NVdriver is a gentoo
problem.

Again, this is an existing, stable gentoo system that has been using the
same NVdriver for some time, suddenly fails to autoload it!  I have
never installed an nvidia sourced driver or unstable emerged driver on
this system, but always via stable emerge.  I do not have many unstable
packages installed, and can see that that could cause problems, but not
in this case.

BillK